12 pound turkey
fresh herb sprigs such as flat-leaf parsley, thyme, and/or marjoram
Fresh herb sprigs, such as flat-leaf parsley, thyme, and/or marjoram
Halved small oranges
Bunches of grapes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Rinse inside of turkey; pat interior and exterior dry with paper towels. If desired, season body cavity with salt. Place the 6 sprigs of fresh parsley and/or thyme in cavity.
- Tuck ends of drumsticks under band of skin across tail or into wire or nylon leg clamp. If there is no skin or clamp, tie drumsticks to tail with 100-percent cotton kitchen string. Twist wing tips under back.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Brush with oil. If using, insert meat thermometer into center of inside thigh muscle. Thermometer should not touch bone. Cover turkey loosely with foil.
- Roast turkey for 2-1/4 hours. Remove foil; cut band of skin or string between drumsticks so thighs cook evenly. Continue roasting for 45 to 75 minutes more, or until meat thermometer or instant-read thermometer registers 180 degrees F and center of stuffing (if using) is 165 degrees F. Juices should run clear and drumsticks should move easily in sockets.
- Remove turkey from oven. Cover loosely with foil; let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
- Arrange turkey, fresh herb sprigs, halved small oranges, and grapes on serving platter. Makes 12 to 14 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Roast Turkey)
- Per serving:
- 255 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 101 mg chol.,
- 83 mg sodium,
- 35 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet