Pear-Glazed Roast Turkey
- Preheat oven to 325 degree F. Rinse inside of the turkey; pat dry with paper towels. If desired, season body cavity with salt. Pull the neck skin to the back; fasten with a skewer.
- Tuck the ends of the drumsticks under the band of skin across the tail. If there is no band of skin, tie the drumsticks securely to the tail. Twist wing tips under the back.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with the butter. If desired, insert a meat thermometer into the center of an inside thigh muscle. The thermometer should not touch bone. Cover turkey loosely with foil.
- Place turkey in a 325 degree F oven. Roast for 2-3/4 to 3 hours During the last 45 minutes of roasting, remove foil and cut band of skin or string between drumsticks so thighs cook evenly. During the last 15 minutes of roasting, brush twice with the Pear Glaze. Roast until the thermometer registers 180 degree F. (The juices should run clear and drumsticks should move easily in their sockets.)
- Remove turkey from oven. If preparing pan gravy, reserve drippings. Cover; let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Garnish platter with Roasted Pear Halves. Carve turkey. Serve with Pear Almond Preserves or desired fruit chutney or relish and Pan Gravy. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Roasted Pear Halves:
To prepare the Roasted Pear Halves used as a garnish, halve small Bosc or other pears. Add pear halves to pan with the turkey the last 10 to 20 minutes of roasting, brushing pears with some of the drippings.
- While turkey stands after roasting, pour pan drippings into a large measuring cup. Scrape the browned bits from the pan into the cup. Skim and reserve fat from the drippings. Pour 1/4 cup of the fat into a medium saucepan (discard any remaining fat). Stir in flour. Add enough chicken broth to remaining drippings in the measuring cup to equal 2 cups; add broth mixture all at once to flour mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- In a small saucepan whisk pear nectar, brown sugar, Dijon-style mustard, Worcestershire sauce for poultry, salt, ground nutmeg, and cayenne pepper. Add butter. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 5 to 8 minutes or until glazing consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Pear-Glazed Roast Turkey)
- Per serving:
- 512 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 283 mg chol.,
- 315 mg sodium,
- 9 g carb.,
- 7 g sugar,
- 77 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet