Sate (sah-TAY), grilled skewers of marinated beef, lamb, turkey, and green onions, served with peanut sauce is a popular Indonesian appetizer or main dish recipe. This recipe, ideal for entertaining, makes enough for a crowd.
- Makes: 10 servings
- Yields: 10 main-dish servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Marinate: 4 hrs
- Grill: 12 mins
- Place cubed meat and turkey in a plastic bag set in a shallow bowl. for marinade, in a mixing bowl combine coconut milk, onion, garlic, dry mustard, coriander, turmeric, salt, and cumin; mix well.
- Pour over meat; seal the bag. Marinate 4 to 24 hours in the refrigerator, turning the bag occasionally. Drain, reserving marinade. On twenty 8-inch skewers, alternately thread meat, turkey, and green onion pieces.
- Grill on rack of uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals for 12 to 16 minutes for medium doneness for beef and lamb and until no pink remains in turkey; brush with marinade during first half of grilling and turn once. Serve with Peanut Sauce and pilaf, if desired. Garnish plate with sugarcane, if desired. Makes 10 main-dish servings.
To grill sugarcane, saw the cane into 2- to 3-inch sections, then very carefully split each section lengthwise with a sharp knife. Spray open side lightly with nonstick spray coating and grill, split side down, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a covered small saucepan cook sliced green onions and garlic in chicken broth or beef broth about 2 minutes or until green onion is tender. Stir in soy sauce, lemon peel, lemon juice, chili powder, and brown sugar. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in peanut butter and grated fresh ginger or ground ginger. Let mixture gently heat through; do not boil. If desired, thin sauce with a little purchased unsweetened coconut milk. Let cool to room temperature before serving.