- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 pound boneless beef round steak or sirloin steak, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound lean boneless lamb, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 8 ounces skinless, boneless turkey breast, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup purchased unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 10 green onions, trimmed and each cut into 4 pieces
- 1 recipe Peanut Sauce
- Hot rice pilaf (optional)
- Grilled split sugarcane* (optional)
1. Place cubed meat and turkey in a plastic bag set in a shallow bowl. for marinade, in a mixing bowl combine coconut milk, onion, garlic, dry mustard, coriander, turmeric, salt, and cumin; mix well.
2. Pour over meat; seal the bag. Marinate 4 to 24 hours in the refrigerator, turning the bag occasionally. Drain, reserving marinade. On twenty 8-inch skewers, alternately thread meat, turkey, and green onion pieces.
3. Grill on rack of uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals for 12 to 16 minutes for medium doneness for beef and lamb and until no pink remains in turkey; brush with marinade during first half of grilling and turn once. Serve with Peanut Sauce and pilaf, if desired. Garnish plate with sugarcane, if desired. Makes 10 main-dish servings.
- To grill sugarcane, saw the cane into 2- to 3-inch sections, then very carefully split each section lengthwise with a sharp knife. Spray open side lightly with nonstick spray coating and grill, split side down, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- unsweetened coconut milk
1. In a covered small saucepan cook sliced green onions and garlic in chicken broth or beef broth about 2 minutes or until green onion is tender. Stir in soy sauce, lemon peel, lemon juice, chili powder, and brown sugar. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in peanut butter and grated fresh ginger or ground ginger. Let mixture gently heat through; do not boil. If desired, thin sauce with a little purchased unsweetened coconut milk. Let cool to room temperature before serving.