Classic Roast Turkey with Stuffing
cups sliced celery (3 stalks)
cup chopped onion (1 large)
cup butter or margarine
tablespoon snipped fresh sage or 1 tsp. poultry seasoning or ground sage
teaspoon freshly ground pepper
cup chicken broth
10 pound turkey
tablespoons olive oil
Small red cooking apples (optional)
Fresh herb sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. For stuffing, in a large skillet cook celery and onion in hot butter over medium heat for 3 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in sage and black pepper. Place dry bread cubes in a large bowl; add onion mixture. Drizzle with enough of the chicken broth to moisten, tossing lightly to combine.
- Remove neck and giblets from the turkey. Rinse the inside of the turkey; pat dry with paper towels. Spoon some of the stuffing loosely into the neck cavity of the turkey. Pull the neck skin to the back; fasten with a skewer. Lightly spoon more stuffing into the body cavity. (Place any remaining stuffing in a casserole; cover and chill. If desired, for a moister stuffing, drizzle with additional broth. Bake stuffing in casserole alongside turkey about 45 minutes or until heated through.) Tie legs to tail with 100%-cotton kitchen string or tuck the ends of the drumsticks under the band of skin across the tail. Twist the wing tips under the back.
- Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with oil; season with additional salt and pepper. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into the center of one of the inside thigh muscles, making sure the bulb does not touch bone. Cover turkey loosely with foil. Roast turkey for 2-1/2 hours.
- Cut the string or band of skin between the drumsticks so the thighs will cook evenly. Uncover; roast for 45 minutes to 1-1/4 hours more or until meat thermometer registers 180 degrees F and an instant-read thermometer inserted in stuffing registers at least 165 degrees F. Remove turkey from oven. Cover; let stand for 15 minutes before carving. If desired, serve on a platter garnished with small apples and herb sprigs. Makes 12 to 14 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Classic Roast Turkey with Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 436 kcal cal.,
- 22 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 123 mg chol.,
- 425 mg sodium,
- 20 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 40 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet