Classic Roast Turkey with Fruit-Chestnut Stuffing
pound fresh chestnuts in shell or one 10-ounce can whole peeled chestnuts, rinsed, drained, and coarsely chopped
cup chopped celery
cup chopped onion
cup coarsely chopped, cored red cooking apple
cup golden raisins
teaspoon freshly ground pepper
cups dry 1-inch sourdough bread cubes (10 ounces)
cup apple juice or chicken broth
10 pound turkey
tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- To roast chestnuts, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. To shell fresh chestnuts, cut an X on each side of each chestnut. (You should have 2 cups fresh shelled chestnuts.) Place in a large shallow baking pan. Roast in preheated oven for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Peel chestnuts while still warm.
- In a medium saucepan, cook peeled chestnuts in boiling water for 15 minutes or until just tender. Drain and cool slightly. Coarsely chop the chestnuts. Place in a very large mixing bowl; set aside.
- To roast turkey, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium saucepan cook celery and onion in hot butter over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add apple and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in raisins, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add bread cubes to the bowl with the chestnuts. Add vegetable mixture; toss to mix. Add enough juice or broth to moisten, tossing lightly to mix.
- Remove neck and giblets from the turkey. Spoon some of the stuffing loosely into the neck cavity of the turkey. Pull the neck skin to the back; fasten with a skewer. Lightly spoon more stuffing into the body cavity. (Place any remaining stuffing in a casserole, cover, and chill. If desired, for a moister stuffing drizzle with additional apple juice or broth. Bake stuffing alongside turkey for 45 minutes or until heated through.) Tie legs to tail with 100-percent-cotton string or tuck the ends of the drumsticks under the band of skin across the tail. Twist the wing tips under the back.
- Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with oil and season with salt and pepper. Insert a meat thermometer into the center of one of the inside thigh muscles without the thermometer touching the bone. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Roast the turkey in the preheated oven for 2-1/2 hours. Cut the string or band of skin between the drumsticks so the thighs will cook evenly. Uncover; roast about 45 minutes to 1 hour more or until meat thermometer registers 180 degrees F and stuffing registers at least 165 degrees F. Remove turkey from oven. Cover and let stand 15 minutes before carving. Makes 12 to 14 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Classic Roast Turkey with Fruit-Chestnut Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 528 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 179 mg chol.,
- 478 mg sodium,
- 36 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 59 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet