A spicy chili rub seasons these turkey drumsticks prior to smoke cooking. Serve with your choice of bottled salsa or barbecue sauce.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 5 mins to 1 hr
- Cook: 2 hrs 30 mins Smoke
- Grill: 2 hrs 30 mins
hickory wood chunks
tablespoon chili powder
tablespoon finely shredded lime peel
teaspoons ground cumin
small turkey drumsticks (8 to 12 oz. each)
Bottled salsa or barbecue sauce (optional)
- At least 1 hour before smoke cooking, soak wood chunks in enough water to cover. Drain before using.
- For rub, in a small bowl, combine chili powder, lime peel, cumin, and salt. Sprinkle mixture evenly over turkey; rub in with your fingers.
- In a smoker, arrange preheated coals, drained wood chunks, and water pan according to the manufacturers directions. Pour water into pan. Place drumsticks on the grill rack over water pan. Cover; smoke for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until juices run clear (180 degrees F). Add additional coals and water as needed to maintain temperature and moisture. If desired, serve the turkey with salsa. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Chili-Rubbed Drumsticks)
- Per serving:
- 178 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 80 mg chol.,
- 269 mg sodium,
- 1 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 22 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet