BBQ Spice-Rubbed Turkey Breast
On average, turkey breasts are ready in half the time it takes to roast a 12-pound turkey. Try this recipe for a summer party.
- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Roast: 1 hr 20 mins 400/350 degrees F
- Stand: 10 mins
- Thaw turkey, if frozen. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a large shallow roasting pan and rack with cooking spray. In small bowl combine brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, salt, cumin, chili powder, and pepper. Place turkey breast halves, bone side down, on roasting rack in prepared pan. Set aside.
- Starting at breast bone, slip fingers between skin and meat to loosen skin, leaving skin attached at top. Lift skin and spread spice mixture evenly under skin over breast meat. Insert oven-going meat thermometer into thickest part of breast, without touching bone.
- Roast, uncovered, on lower rack of oven for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Roast 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer or until thermometer registers 170 degrees F., juices run clear, and turkey is no longer pink, occasionally spooning pan juices over turkey. Let stand, covered with foil, for 10 minutes before slicing. Place breast halves on platter. Serve with Cranberry Barbecue Sauce. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
To simplify, you can rub the spice mixture onto the outside of turkey breast for a crusty spice appearance. Place foil over turkey breast last 30 minutes of roasting to prevent burning.
- In a medium saucepan cook onion in hot cooking oil over medium heat 5 minutes. Add cranberry sauce, chili sauce, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Pass with BBQ Spice-Rubbed Turkey Breast. Makes 2-1/2 cups sauce (10, 1/4 cup servings).
- Per serving:
- 311 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 167 mg chol.,
- 440 mg sodium,
- 4 g carb.,
- 3 g sugar,
- 57 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet