Tunisian Dried Fruit, Chicken and Bulgur Pilaf
Bulgur is cracked wheat that has been steamed and dried, so it cooks a bit more quickly than unprocessed cracked wheat.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Slow Cook: 2 hrs (low)
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, and garam masala; cook and stir until chicken is browned on all sides and onion is tender.
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine the chicken mixture, bulgur, lemon slices, plums, raisins, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and cayenne pepper. Pour broth and the water over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 2 hours. Stir in almonds.
- To serve, sprinkle each serving with mint and lemon peel.
To toast nuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown, watching carefully and stirring once or twice.
- Per serving:
- 321 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 55 mg chol.,
- 235 mg sodium,
- 41 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 29 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet