Tunisian Dried Fruit, Chicken and Bulgur Pilaf
teaspoons canola oil
pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size strips
cup coarsely chopped onion (1 medium)
teaspoon garam masala
medium lemon, seeded and thinly sliced
cup pitted dried plums, quartered
cup golden raisins
teaspoon ground ginger
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon ground allspice
Pinch cayenne pepper
14 1/2 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
cup coarsely chopped or slivered almonds, toasted*
Fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, and garam masala; cook and stir until chicken is browned on all sides and onion is tender.
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine the chicken mixture, bulgur, lemon slices, plums, raisins, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and cayenne pepper. Pour broth and the water over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 2 hours. Stir in almonds.
- To serve, sprinkle each serving with mint and lemon peel.
From the Test Kitchen
To toast nuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown, watching carefully and stirring once or twice.
Nutrition Facts(Tunisian Dried Fruit, Chicken and Bulgur Pilaf)
- Per serving:
- 321 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 55 mg chol.,
- 235 mg sodium,
- 41 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 29 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet