Trisha Yearwood's Red Velvet Cupcakes
"This is your classic red velvet cake complete with cream cheese frosting," Trisha says. "Only this time, you stir in some pecans!"
- Makes: 30 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 18 mins to 20 mins 350°
- Cool: 5 mins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line thirty 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside.
- For cupcakes, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa. In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar and eggs. Add the oil, slowly beating well as the oil is added. To the sugar mixture, add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour and mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla and food coloring. Spoon batter into prepared cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers come out clean. Remove muffin pan from oven, let cool on wire rack, 5 minutes. Remove cakes from muffin pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for the frosting, cream the cream cheese and butter. Beat in the powdered sugar until the mixture is smooth. Add the vanilla and nuts, reserving 2 Tbsp. of nuts for garnish. Spread or pipe the frosting atop the cupcakes.
For a 3-layer cake, prepare as above, except grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans. Divide batter evenly among the pans and bake for 25 minutes or until tests done with a toothpick. Cool the layers in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto racks to finish cooling while you prepare the frosting. Spread the frosting between the layers, on sides and on top of the cake.
- Per serving:
- 248 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 10 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 29 mg chol.,
- 185 mg sodium,
- 38 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 29 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet