- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 cup (4 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over edges of pan; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, vanilla, and salt. Beat until light and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Gather dough into a ball. Press dough evenly onto the bottom of the prepared pan.
3. Bake about 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
4. Using the edges of the foil, gently lift shortbread out of pan. Using a serrated knife, cut shortbread crosswise into three 10x5-inch rectangles. Continue preparing each portion of shortbread as directed.
- Using a serrated knife, cut one portion of the shortbread into twenty 2 1/2x1-inch rectangles. In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate pieces and 1 teaspoon shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Dip each rectangle at an angle halfway into chocolate, letting excess drip off. Place on waxed paper. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup chopped honey-roasted cashews or peanuts. Let stand or chill until chocolate is set. Makes 20 bites.
- Per bite: 149 cal, 10 fat (6 sat. fat), 16 chol, 59 sod, 16 carb, 1 fib, 1 pro.
- Using a thin metal spatula, spread 1/3 cup lemon curd evenly over one portion of the shortbread. Using a serrated knife, cut into 24 squares. Top each with a fresh raspberry. Before serving, lightly sprinkle with powdered sugar. Makes 24 bites.
- Per bite: 100 cal, 5 fat (3 sat. fat), 17 chol, 48 sod, 12 carb, 1 fib, 1 pro.
- Using a serrated knife, cut one portion of the shortbread into 18 squares. Cut each square in half to make 36 triangles. In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons milk, and a few drops vanilla. Stir in additional milk, a few drops at a time, until icing reaches drizzling consistency. Pipe or drizzle icing over triangles; sprinkle with nonpareils. Let stand until icing is set. Makes 36 bites.
- Per bite: 64 cal, 4 fat (2 sat. fat), 9 chol, 30 sod, 8 carb, 0 fib, 1 pro.