Triangle Santa Sugar Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll one dough portion at a time to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 4- to 5-inch elongated triangle-shape cookie cutter, cut out dough. Brush cutouts with red-tinted Egg Paint as desired for coats, hats, and cheeks, leaving a small unpainted space on each cutout for a face and beard. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are very light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- Using a decorating bag fitted with a small round tip, pipe eyebrows on faces with piping-consistency white Powdered Sugar Icing. Use a new, dry artists brush to apply white luster dust to beard areas; use a small round tip to pipe swirls of Powdered Sugar Icing over luster dust. Using a small round tip, pipe eyes with black-tinted Powdered Sugar Icing. Use icing to attach a small red candy for each nose and small red and white star-shape sprinkles on the hats and coats.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Powdered Sugar Icing
- In a small bowl stir together powdered sugar, vanilla or almond extract, and enough milk (3 to 4 teaspoons) to make icing drizzling consistency.
- In a small bowl stir together egg yolk and water. Stir in paste food coloring to make a paint of desired color. Brush paint on cookies before baking so the egg mixture cooks fully.
Nutrition Facts (Triangle Santa Sugar Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 74 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 15 mg chol.,
- 49 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet