Traditional Snowmen Sugar Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll one dough portion at a time to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 4- to 4-1/2-inch snowman-shape cookie cutter, cut out dough. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are very light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- Outline and flood bodies with glaze-consistency white Royal Icing; sprinkle bodies with white nonpareils. Outline and flood hats with glaze-consistency black-tinted Royal Icing. Add small black confetti sprinkles to each cookie for eyes and buttons; add an orange confetti sprinkle for a nose. Using a decorating bag fitted with a small round tip, pipe dots of frosting-consistency black-tinted Royal Icing for a smile on each cookie. Use a small, sharp knife to cut red rolled fruit leather into pieces for scarves and gloves; attach pieces to snowmen, using additional icing to attach, if necessary.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar. Add the water and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined; beat on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until icing is very stiff. If not using right away, cover bowl with a damp paper towel and cover paper towel with plastic wrap; chill for up to 48 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
Meringue powder is a mixture of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, and edible gums. Look for it in the baking aisle of your supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Nutrition Facts (Traditional Snowmen Sugar Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 74 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 15 mg chol.,
- 49 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet