- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 14 ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup roasted red sweet peppers, drained and cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 15 ounce carton ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Recipe Pastry for a Double-Crust Pie
- 1/2 cup refrigerated basil pesto or Classic Pesto Sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded fontina or Gruyere cheese (3 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces thinly sliced salami, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon water
1. Place drained artichoke hearts and roasted red sweet peppers on paper towels; set aside to drain while preparing filling.
2. For filling, in a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir about 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic; cook about 1 minute or until fragrant. Add spinach; cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until liquid is evaporated. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Transfer to a colander. When spinach is cool enough to handle, use your hands to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Transfer spinach mixture to a medium bowl. Stir in ricotta, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, one of the eggs, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the black pepper. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Pastry Dough for Double Crust Pie. Divide pastry dough into two balls, one about one-fourth larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the larger dough ball into a circle 14 to 15 inches in diameter. Carefully ease dough circle into a 9-inch springform pan. If pastry tears, pat dough against bottom and up the sides of the pan. Roll out the remaining dough ball to a circle 10 inches in diameter; transfer this dough circle to a large plate and refrigerate while layering the torta.
4. Spread Classic Pesto Sauce over bottom crust in pan. Spread ricotta mixture over pesto. In a small bowl combine fontina cheese, the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and the flour. Sprinkle half of the fontina mixture over ricotta mixture. Top with layers of salami, roasted peppers, and artichoke hearts. Sprinkle the remaining fontina mixture over artichokes. Fold the edges of the bottom crust onto top of the final fontina layer. Cover torta with the 10-inch dough circle, pressing edges into the pan to seal with the bottom crust.
5. In a small bowl combine the remaining one egg and the water. Brush over top crust. Cut decorative steam holes in center of the top crust.
6. Bake on middle rack of oven for 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown; place a large baking sheet on the rack under the pan to catch any drippings. Cool in pan on wire rack for 2 hours. Cut into 12 wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Yield: Makes 2 piecrusts
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 8 - 10 tablespoons cold water
1. In a large bowl combine flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture; toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with an additional 7 to 9 tablespoons cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a ball. On a lightly floured surface use your hands to slightly flatten one portion of dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 12-inch circle.
2. Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate; ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Transfer filling to pastry-lined pie plate. Trim pastry as directed in individual recipe. Roll the remaining dough into a 12-inch circle. Use the remaining pastry circle as directed in individual recipe. Bake as directed in individual recipe.
- Servings Per Recipe 12,
- cal. (kcal) 420,
- Fat, total (g) 28,
- chol. (mg) 73,
- sat. fat (g) 10,
- carb. (g) 25,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 7,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 6,
- fiber (g) 3,
- sugar (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 15,
- vit. A (IU) 1166,
- vit. C (mg) 24,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 2,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 93,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1,
- sodium (mg) 786,
- Potassium (mg) 226,
- calcium (mg) 222,
- iron (mg) 3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet