Torta de Albondigas (Mexican Meatball Subs)
- In a medium bowl stir together cabbage, cilantro, mayonnaise, chipotle chile peppers, lime juice, adobo sauce, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the chicken, pork, onion, garlic, cumin seed, and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix until combined. Form mixture into 1-inch meatballs. In a large nonstick skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add meatballs and cook until browned and cooked through, turning occasionally.
- Place rolls on a baking sheet; top with cheese and melt under broiler. Arrange meatballs on bottom halves of rolls. Top with coleslaw mixture and avocado; add roll tops.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
For extra flavor, in a bowl combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing, 1/2 cup ketchup, and 1 tablespoon smoked paprika. Drizzle over coleslaw and avocado on rolls.
Nutrition Facts (Torta de Albondigas (Mexican Meatball Subs))
- Per serving:
- 649 kcal ,
- 44 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat ,
- 8 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 16 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 121 mg chol. ,
- 1212 mg sodium ,
- 28 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 30 g pro.