Tomato Soup with Basil Dumplings
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine onion, carrots, sweet pepper, celery, and garlic. Stir in tomatoes, broth, tomato juice, lemon juice, sugar, and cayenne pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- For basil dumplings, in a small bowl stir together flour, basil, salt, and baking powder. In a small bowl combine egg and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon, beat until a soft, sticky dough forms.
- If using low-heat setting, turn cooker to high-heat setting. Drop dumpling dough by rounded teaspoons into 12 mounds on top of mixture in cooker, spacing mounds evenly. Cover and cook for 50 to 60 minutes more or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of dumplings comes out clean. (Do not lift cover during cooking.) If desired, sprinkle each serving with additional fresh snipped basil.
Nutrition Facts (Tomato Soup with Basil Dumplings)
- Per serving:
- 188 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 62 mg chol. ,
- 1166 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 12 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.
Andy Waltz 1105 Days Ago
This was kind of bland and the dumplings were just weird.