- Makes: 6 servings
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups soup plus 2 dumplings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Slow Cook: 6 hrs to 8 hrs (low) or 3 1/2 to 4 hours (high) + 50 minutes (high)
Tomato Soup with Basil Dumplings
cup chopped onion (1 large)
cup chopped carrots (2 medium)
cup chopped red sweet pepper (1 small)
cup sliced celery (1 stalk)
cloves garlic, minced
14 1/2 ounce cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
14 1/2 ounce can vegetable broth or chicken broth
cups tomato juice
tablespoon lemon juice
Dash cayenne pepper
tablespoons snipped fresh basil
teaspoon baking powder
egg, lightly beaten
tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine onion, carrots, sweet pepper, celery, and garlic. Stir in tomatoes, broth, tomato juice, lemon juice, sugar, and cayenne pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- For basil dumplings, in a small bowl stir together flour, basil, salt, and baking powder. In a small bowl combine egg and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon, beat until a soft, sticky dough forms.
- If using low-heat setting, turn cooker to high-heat setting. Drop dumpling dough by rounded teaspoons into 12 mounds on top of mixture in cooker, spacing mounds evenly. Cover and cook for 50 to 60 minutes more or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of dumplings comes out clean. (Do not lift cover during cooking.) If desired, sprinkle each serving with additional fresh snipped basil.
Nutrition Facts (Tomato Soup with Basil Dumplings)
- Per serving:
- 188 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 62 mg chol.,
- 1166 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 12 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet