slices turkey bacon
cup dried tomatoes (not oil-pack)
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon cream of tartar
tablespoons chopped green onion tops
cup 60% to 70% vegetable oil spread, chilled
cup fat-free milk
Nonstick cooking spray
cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 ounce)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cook bacon according to package directions; cool slightly and crumble or chop bacon. Set aside. Place tomatoes in a small bowl. Add enough boiling water to cover; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain tomatoes, discarding the liquid. Finely chop tomatoes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together flours, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar. Stir in green onion tops. Using a pastry blender, cut in vegetable oil spread and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in crumbled bacon and chopped tomatoes. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add milk all at once; stir just until dough clings together.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead by folding and gently pressing dough for four to six strokes or until nearly smooth. Roll dough into an 8-inch square. Cut into 1-inch-wide strips; cut each strip in half crosswise. If desired, twist each strip.
- Place strips 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Coat with cooking spray; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts(Tomato-Bacon Breadsticks)
- Per serving:
- 94 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 6 mg chol.,
- 251 mg sodium,
- 9 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet