Tomatillo Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- Remove meat from chickens, discarding skin and bones. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds. Place shredded chicken in a storage container; cover and chill overnight. Prepare Tomatillo-Garlic Sauce. Transfer to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with a car adapter combine shredded chicken and sauce. Cover and heat on high-heat setting about 2 hours or until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Tightly cover slow cooker and tote in an insulated carrier. Tote desired toppings in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, plug slow cooker into car adapter and keep chicken mixture warm on warm-heat setting. To serve, fill rolls with chicken mixture and toppings.
The day before:
From the Test Kitchen
3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with a car adapter
Insulated cooler with ice packs
- In a blender or food processor combine tomatillos, onion, cilantro, lime juice, vegetable oil, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Cover and process until smooth.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts(Tomatillo Pulled Chicken Sandwiches)
- Per serving:
- 291 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 65 mg chol.,
- 1017 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 18 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet