- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For the tomatillo-pepita sauce, set aside 2 tablespoons of the toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish. In a blender combine the remaining pumpkin seeds, the tomatillos, 1/2 cup of the onion, the chile pepper, garlic, savory, and salt. Add 1/2 cup of the broth. Cover and blend until smooth.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add tomatillo mixture; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until thickened. Add the remaining broth and the water. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes more or until slightly thickened. If desired, stir in cilantro.
- In a medium bowl combine the remaining 1/4 cup chopped onion, the chopped eggs, tomato, and chives; set aside.
- Dip tortillas in the tomatillo-pepita sauce in skillet to soften and coat tortillas. Spoon some of the egg mixture into the center of each tortilla. Roll up tortillas. Arrange filled tortillas, seam sides down, in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Spoon the remaining tomatillo-pepita sauce over filled tortillas.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until heated through. Top with the Cebollas Encurtidas and the reserved 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds. Serve with crema.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Fresh or Fast:
Fresh: Make as directed. Fast: Omit Cebollas Encurtidas and garnish with an additional hard-cooked egg, thinly sliced, and/or crumbled queso fresco.
- Preheat broiler. On a 15x10x1-inch baking pan, place red onion slices. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until onions are charred and tender, turning once halfway through broiling time. When cool enough to handle, separate onions into rings, discarding any large dry blackened pieces.
- In a medium bowl combine onion, grapefruit juice, orange juice, lime juice, salt, oregano, garlic, and pepper. Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Tomatillo Papadzules)
- Per serving:
- 517 kcal ,
- 33 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 12 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 286 mg chol. ,
- 644 mg sodium ,
- 36 g carb. ,
- 7 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 26 g pro.