Toasty Whole Grain Orange Muffins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place oats, cooled cooked quinoa, and walnuts in a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan; toss together. Add oil; toss to coat. Spread in an even layer. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until toasted, stirring once. Remove; cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Grease twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups; set aside. In a large bowl stir together all but 1/4 cup of the quinoa mixture,the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside.
- Finely shred 2 teaspoons peel from the orange. Juice the orange to get 3 tablespoons. In a 2-cup measure whisk together buttermilk, eggs, sour cream, butter, orange juice, and orange peel. Add all at once to flour mixture. Gently stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each three-fourths full. Sprinkle with remaining quinoa mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Cool in cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm. If desired, serve with orange marmalade.
Nutrition Facts (Toasty Whole Grain Orange Muffins)
- Per serving:
- 238 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 43 mg chol.,
- 267 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet