Tlayuda con Chorizo (Mexican Pizza with Chorizo)
- Place a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and salt; cook for 3 minutes or until onion and garlic are tender. Stir in chili powder and cumin; cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat; stir in beans and 3 tablespoons of the water. Transfer mixture to a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse with several on/off turns until bean mixture is spreadable but still chunky, adding more water if necessary to make a spreadable mixture.
- Working with one tortilla at a time, evenly spread a thin layer of the bean mixture on tortilla. Top with 1/2 cup of the cheese and one-fourth of the chorizo. Transfer topped tortilla to the pizza stone. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and edges are crisp.
- Transfer tlayuda to a cutting board; let cool for 1 minute. Top with 1/2 cup of the mesclun or cabbage, 1/4 cup of the salsa, 2 tablespoons of the cilantro and, if desired, a few chile pepper slices. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make four tlayudas total. Cut each tlayuda into wedges before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Tlayuda con Chorizo (Mexican Pizza with Chorizo))
- Per serving:
- 348 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 37 mg chol.,
- 912 mg sodium,
- 36 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 18 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet