- Chill three medium bowls. Line a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap, allowing plastic wrap to hang over the edges. Place 10 of the ladyfinger halves in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared pan; set aside.
- In one of the chilled bowls, stir together coffee ice cream and Kahlua until smooth. Spoon ice cream mixture over ladyfingers in the pan, spreading evenly. Place loaf pan in the freezer.
- In another chilled bowl beat mascarpone cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed about 30 seconds or until softened. Using a wooden spoon, stir in 1/2 cup of the vanilla bean ice cream just until combined. Stir in the remaining vanilla bean ice cream. Remove loaf pan from the freezer and layer 11 ladyfinger halves on top of the coffee layer. Top ladyfingers with mascarpone mixture, spreading evenly. Return loaf pan to freezer.
- In the remaining chilled bowl stir together the chocolate ice cream, whipping cream, and vanilla. Layer the remaining 14 ladyfinger halves on top of the mascarpone layer. Top ladyfingers with chocolate ice cream mixture, spreading evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Let semifreddo stand at room temperature for 10 minutes prior to serving. Dust top with cocoa powder. To serve, slice semifreddo. If desired, serve with Chocolate Ganache.
From the Test Kitchen
If using the Ladyfinger recipe, and only 6 will fit per layer, you will need 18 total for the recipe. The semifreddo recipe calls for 35 if using purchased ladyfingers because they are significantly thinner than the homemade ones. (The recipe makes 24 ladyfingers; the extra can be eaten or stored for another use.)
Or use regular vanilla ice cream and add the seeds of one vanilla bean.
- Chop chocolate and place in a glass bowl; set aside. Heat whipping cream to a simmer. Pour over chopped chocolate, and let stand 5 minutes without stirring. Stir until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 very large baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl combine egg yolks, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, hot water, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed about 2 minutes or until thick and pale yellow.
- Wash beaters thoroughly. In a large bowl beat egg whites and salt on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Add the yolk mixture and fold in by hand just until combined. Sift 1/2 cup all-purpose flour over egg mixture; fold in gently, just until combined. Repeat with remaining 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (do not overmix).
- Place batter in a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip. Pipe batter into 48 ladyfinger shapes (about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide) onto prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. Sift powdered sugar over ladyfingers.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until set and golden brown. Let cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; cool completely.
Nutrition Facts (Tiramisu Semifreddo)
- Per serving:
- 477 kcal cal.,
- 26 g fat
- (15 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 199 mg chol.,
- 136 mg sodium,
- 50 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 25 g sugar,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet