Tiramisu Ladyfinger Sandwiches
- Line three large cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- In a medium bowl beat egg yolks, coffee-flavor liqueur, vanilla, and instant espresso coffee powder with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or until mixture is thick.
- Fold egg yolk mixture into beaten egg whites just until combined. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the flour over egg mixture. Fold flour in gently, just until combined. Repeat with remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, being careful to not overstir.
- Spoon batter into a decorating bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip. Pipe batter 1 1/2 inches apart in ladyfinger shapes (3x1-inch) on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 5 to 6 minutes or until set and golden brown. Cool on cookie sheets for 10 minutes. Use a spatula to transfer to a wire rack; cool completely.
- Spoon the Tiramisu Frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a medium star tip. Pipe frosting onto the flat sides of half of the cookies. Top each frosted cookie with another cookie, flat side down. Pipe a bit of frosting on the top of each cookie. If desired, sift with cocoa powder and top with a chocolate-covered coffee bean. Chill until ready to serve.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer unfilled cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies, if frozen. Fill and frost cookies as directed in Step 6.
- In a large bowl combine one mascarpone cheese, butter, whipping cream, coffee-flavor liqueur or strong brewed cooled coffee, vanilla, and instant espresso coffee powder. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar to make a frosting of piping consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Tiramisu Ladyfinger Sandwiches)
- Per serving:
- 134 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 45 mg chol.,
- 25 mg sodium,
- 19 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 16 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet