- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 8 ounces uncooked chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 2 mediumred potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 1 14 1/2ounce candiced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce,* chopped
- 1 tablespoon canned adobo sauce
- 4 clovesgarlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 10 ounce packagetortilla chips
- 2 avocados, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups crumbled queso fresco
1. Trim fat from pork shoulder; cut meat into 1-inch cubes. Set meat aside. In a large skillet cook chorizo over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes or until well browned, using a wooden spoon to break up chorizo as it cooks. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to a double thickness of paper towels to drain.
2. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine chorizo, pork, potatoes, onion, tomatoes, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, oregano, salt, and sugar.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours.
4. Discard bay leaves. Spoon off fat from cooking liquid. Use two forks to pull meat apart into coarse shreds.
5. Serve stew mixture with tortilla chips; garnish each serving with avocado slices and queso fresco.
- Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. when working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 661,
- Fat, total (g) 37,
- chol. (mg) 119,
- sat. fat (g) 12,
- carb. (g) 42,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 16,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 7,
- fiber (g) 6,
- sugar (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 41,
- vit. A (IU) 632,
- vit. C (mg) 20,
- Thiamin (mg) 1,
- Riboflavin (mg) 1,
- Niacin (mg) 8,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1,
- Folate (µg) 60,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 2,
- sodium (mg) 1022,
- Potassium (mg) 995,
- calcium (mg) 283,
- iron (mg) 4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet