Three-Cheese Baked Mac
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2-quart broiler-safe dish with cooking spray. Cook penne according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle flour onto butter and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Whisk in milk, dried onion, dry mustard, salt, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and cook, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl toss together cheeses. Whisk half of the cheese into the milk mixture in skillet until smooth. Stir cheese sauce into pasta. Spoon half of the pasta into the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the remaining cheese. Repeat layering, ending with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Increase heat to broil. Broil pasta for 3 to 4 minutes until bubbly and browned.
Nutrition Facts (Three-Cheese Baked Mac)
- Per serving:
- 383 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 59 mg chol.,
- 298 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 19 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
juliarmontoya 101 Days Ago
I thought this was one of the better mac & cheese recipes I have tried. I like the combination of the three cheeses and the penne pasta was great also.
cneuhaus5 834 Days Ago
3 stars, really good, one of my better mac & cheese recipes, and easy to make! But needs more salt. Next time I'll add 3/4 teaspoon but cut swiss to 1-1/2 cups because I thought it was a bit overpowering. Will also sprinkle w/panko instead of broiling. 2% milk cuts some of the calories from traditional cream, whole milk or 1/2 & 1/2, and recipe serves TWELVE, I guess side dish servings. But it was enough for me & hubby as main course twice.
Gail Gilmore 449 Days Ago
Eight ounces to a cup is a liquid measure. Solids are measured by volume. Hence, 8 oz. shredded cheese is two cups.
Lisette Medina Marrero 642 Days Ago
Recipe looks good, however, I don't know where she gets her measurements from because isn't 8oz = 1 cup?
Lauren Stagner 904 Days Ago
How is this healthy?
Lesley Cooper 1276 Days Ago
how does anything that looks this good but only fits in a 2 qt dish make 12 servings?