Thick Hummus -Style Soup
- Rinse beans. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine beans and enough water to cover. Bring to boiling. Boil, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse beans. Place in a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker. Add broth, garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and salt.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Stir yogurt, tahini, and lemon juice into mixture in cooker. Using an immersion blender,** carefully blend soup. Stir in parsley.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Chop enough pita bread into - to 1/2-inch pieces to equal 2 cups; toss with olive oil. Spread in a shallow baking pan; bake for 12 to 13 minutes or until crisp, stirring once.
- Serve soup topped with sweet pepper, pita bread pieces, and, if desired, sesame seeds.
From the Test Kitchen
To toast sesame seeds, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread sesame seeds in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown, watching carefully and stirring once or twice.
If you don't have an immersion blender, cool slightly and process in batches in a regular blender.
Nutrition Facts(Thick Hummus -Style Soup)
- Per serving:
- 351 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 768 mg sodium,
- 47 g carb.,
- 12 g fiber,
- 10 g sugar,
- 18 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet