- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 1/2 pounds uncooked ground chicken or turkey
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 2 cups chopped onions (2 large)
- 4 cups bottled salsa (medium hotness)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green sweet peppers (2 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn or frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce*
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 16 - 20 6-inch flour tortillas or hoagie rolls, split and toasted
- Vegetable oil
- Assorted toppers, such as chopped cilantro, diced avocado, chopped tomato, and/or crumbled Cotija cheese (optional)
1. In a very large skillet cook ground chicken, ground pork, and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat.
2. In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker combine meat mixture, salsa, sweet peppers, corn, chipotle pepper, chili powder, coriander, and garlic salt.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
4. Meanwhile, add tortillas, one at a time, to hot oil; cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or just until golden. Using tongs, remove tortillas from hot oil. Fold fried tortillas over a paper-towel-wrapped rolling pin or a wire tortilla rack placed over a paper-towel-lined pan. Let cool until firm.
5. To serve, use a slotted spoon to spoon meat mixture into fried tortilla shells. If desired, add toppers.
- Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
- Servings Per Recipe 16,
- cal. (kcal) 366,
- Fat, total (g) 20,
- chol. (mg) 67,
- sat. fat (g) 5,
- carb. (g) 29,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 8,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 5,
- fiber (g) 2,
- sugar (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 20,
- vit. A (IU) 437,
- vit. C (mg) 15,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 5,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1,
- Folate (µg) 16,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1,
- sodium (mg) 725,
- Potassium (mg) 630,
- calcium (mg) 111,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet