- Soak plank in enough water to cover for at least 1 hour before grilling; drain.
- In a small bowl combine boiling water and 1 tablespoon tea leaves. Let steep for 5 minutes. Pour tea mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a blender. Add chipotle pepper, vinegar, salt, and ice cubes. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Place salmon in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Pour tea mixture from blender over fish in bag. Seal bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 to 45 minutes, turning bag occasionally.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around edge of grill. Place the plank on the grill rack directly over the coals for 5 minutes or until plank smokes and crackles. Remove salmon from marinade, discarding marinade. Place salmon, skin side down, on plank. Sprinkle salmon with chili powder and 1/8 teaspoon tea leaves. Place plank in center of grill rack. Cover and grill for 20 to 24 minutes or until fish begins to flake easily when tested with a fork. (For gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust heat for indirect cooking. Place plank on grill rack over heat for 5 minutes or until smoking and crackling. Place salmon on plank. Place plank over unlit side of grill and grill as above.)
- To serve, sprinkle with chives and drizzle with honey, if desired.
From the Test Kitchen
Because hot chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid contact with chiles as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the chile peppers, wash your hands well with soap and water.
Nutrition Facts(Tea-Marinated Salmon)
- Per serving:
- 280 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 94 mg chol.,
- 365 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 34 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet