Rustic Blood Orange Tart with Salted Pecan Crust
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Salted Pecan Crust. On a large piece of lightly floured parchment paper, slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edges into a 13-inch circle. Slide paper with pastry onto a large baking sheet; set aside.
- Cut peel off oranges, removing all of the white pith. Thinly slice oranges crosswise; discard any seeds and white pith from centers. Arrange orange slices in center of pastry, leaving the outer 2 inches uncovered. Fold uncovered pastry up over orange slices, pleating as necessary to keep pastry flat against fruit. Lightly brush pastry top and sides with milk; sprinkle entire tart with turbinado sugar.
- Bake about 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan bring maple syrup to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until reduced by half (12 to 15 minutes); cool slightly.
- Spoon the reduced maple syrup over tart. Transfer tart on parchment paper to a serving platter or board. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. If desired, serve with Sweetened Whipped Cream and sprinkle with toasted pecans.
From the Test Kitchen
Be sure the pecans are very finely chopped or the crust might crack when you fold it up over the oranges.
Salted Pecan Crust
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, pecans, brown sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until pieces are pea size. In a small bowl combine egg yolks and water. Gradually stir egg yolk mixture into flour mixture. Using your fingers, gently knead the dough just until a ball forms. Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill for 30 to 60 minutes or until dough is easy to handle.
From the Test Kitchen
*To Toast Nuts:
Be sure the pecans are very finely chopped or the crust might crack. Spread nuts in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly golden, shaking the pan once or twice; let cool.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- In a medium bowl stir together 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup very finely chopped toasted pecans,* 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/2 cup cold butter, cut up, until pieces are pea size. In a small bowl combine 2 lightly beaten egg yolks and 1 tablespoon ice water. Gradually stir egg yolk mixture into flour mixture. Using your fingers, gently knead dough just until a ball forms. Cover and chill for 30 to 60 minutes or until dough is easy to handle.
- In a chilled mixing bowl beat whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).