Pear and Goat Cheese Bread Tart
- Prepare Candied Apples or Quince recipe, reserving syrup for serving. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove bottom crust from round loaf by slicing a thin horizontal slice from bottom with a long serrated knife. After removing crust, create a 1-inch-thick horizontal slab of bread by cutting off the top of loaf (set aside remaining bread for another use.) Generously brush both sides of bread slab with olive oil until it is absorbed into the bread.
- Preheat an extra-large, heavy-bottom skillet over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Place oiled bread slice in heated skillet. Cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn; cook the other side 2 minutes more or until lightly browned. Transfer toasted bread slice to baking sheet. Lightly sprinkle with sea salt. In small bowl gently toss together the crumbled cheese, thyme leaves, and the 2 tablespoons of lemon peel; set aside.
- Arrange Candied Apples and pears over bread slice, sprinkling cheese and thyme mixture between layers.
- Transfer to preheated oven. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheese begins to lightly brown and the tart is heated through. Top with additional shredded lemon peel and serve with reserved Candied Apple syrup. Makes 10 servings.
Candied Apples or Quince
- Peel apples or quince and quarter lengthwise. Slice the core away from each quarter. Cut each wedge in thin slices. In medium saucepan combine the sliced apples or quince, water, Riesling wine or apple juice, sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon stick. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes for the apples or 1 to 1-1/4 hours for the quince, or until tender, stirring occasionally. Strain apples or quince, receiving cooking syrup. The syrup should be the consistency of warm honey. If not, return the syrup to pan to reduce more. Remove cinnamon stick; discard. Stir in 2 teaspoons lemon juice. Cool to room temperature before using.
Nutrition Facts (Pear and Goat Cheese Bread Tart)
- Per serving:
- 478 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 13 mg chol.,
- 722 mg sodium,
- 84 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 31 g sugar,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet