Nut and Chocolate Chip Tart
recipe Pastry for Single-Crust Pie (see recipe below)
cup light-colored corn syrup
cup packed brown sugar
cup butter, melted and cooled
cup coarsely chopped salted mixed nuts
cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces
cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces (optional)
tablespoon shortening (optional)
- Prepare and roll out Pastry for Single-Crust Pie. Line an 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom with pastry. Press pastry into fluted sides of tart pan and trim edges. Do not prick pastry.
- For filling, in a large bowl beat eggs slightly with a fork. Stir in corn syrup. Add brown sugar, melted butter, and vanilla, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Stir in nuts and the 12 cup chocolate pieces. Place pastry-lined tart pan on a baking sheet; place baking sheet on the oven rack. Carefully pour filling into tart pan. Bake pie in a 350 degrees oven about 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean; cool on a wire rack.
- To serve, cut tart into slices; transfer to dessert plates. If desired, in a small heavy saucepan melt the 13 cup chocolate pieces and shortening over very low heat. Immediately remove from heat; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Drizzle over tart slices (see tip, page 247). Cover and chill remaining tart for up to 2 days.
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
tablespoons cold water
- Stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
Nutrition Facts(Nut and Chocolate Chip Tart)
- Per serving:
- 439 kcal cal.,
- 23 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 80 mg chol.,
- 210 mg sodium,
- 52 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 37 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet