Fruit-Filled Pastry Hearts
17.3 ounce package frozen puff pastry (2 sheets)
cup peach spreadable fruit or preserves
teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
cup peeled and finely chopped peaches (about 2)
8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
cup packed brown sugar
- Thaw and unfold puff pastry sheets onto a lightly floured surface. Using a floured, 2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter or a sharp small knife and a heart pattern, cut pastry into about 45 heart shapes (do not reroll scraps). Place pastry hearts on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, store, tightly covered, at room temperature for up to 12 hours.
- In a small saucepan combine spreadable fruit or preserves and lemon peel. Heat and stir until melted; cool. In a large mixing bowl combine peaches and blueberries. Add spread or preserves mixture and gently toss to combine; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese, brown sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy.
- To assemble pastries, with a serrated knife, cut pastry hearts in half horizontally. Spread each of the bottom halves with about 1 teaspoon cream cheese mixture. Top each with a spoonful of fruit mixture and a pastry top. Serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 4 hours. Just before serving, lightly sprinkle with powdered sugar. Makes about 45 pastries.
From the Test Kitchen
Bake pastry hearts. Cool and store tightly covered up to 12 hours ahead. Assemble pastries, cover and chill for up to 4 hours ahead.