Cranberries glisten like edible jewels in these sweet and tart Christmas desserts.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Bake: 40 mins 375°F
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, stir together the 2 cups flour and the salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and the 1/3 cup butter until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to one side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time, until all the dough is moistened.
- Form dough into a ball. Divide dough into eight equal portions. Roll each portion into a 5-inch circle. Line a 4-inch tart pan that has a removable bottom with one dough circle. Trim dough even with rim of tart pan. Repeat with remaining dough circles and seven more 4-inch tart pans.
- For filling, in a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, the 1/3 cup water, and the wine or orange juice. Bring to boiling. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes or until berries begin to pop. In a small bowl, stir together sugar and the 2 tablespoons flour. Add to hot cranberry mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the 1 tablespoon butter until melted.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup filling into each dough-lined tart pan. Place pans on a large baking sheet. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and edges of tarts are golden brown. Place tarts on a wire rack to cool. Remove tarts from pans to serve. If desired, serve with sweetened whipped cream. Makes 8 servings
From the Test Kitchen
To Bake Ahead:
Tarts can be baked, cooled, covered, and stored at room temperature for up to 24 hours or in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. For longer storage, place tarts in a freezer bag; seal and freeze for up to 4 months. To serve, thaw, covered, at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts (Cranberry Tarts)
- Per serving:
- 378 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 24 mg chol.,
- 139 mg sodium,
- 52 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet