Tandoori Spiced Chicken and Rice Bake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat until melted. Add onion, carrot, sweet pepper, and Anaheim pepper; cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add zucchini and garlic; cook and stir for 3 more minutes.
- Stir in broth, rice, the water, the tomato paste, and 1 tablespoon of the Tandoori Spice Mixture. Bring to boiling; boil for 1 minute. Carefully pour rice mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle the remaining Tandoori Spice Mixture evenly over chicken; rub in with your fingers. In a large skillet heat 1 1/2 teaspoons butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook about 4 minutes or just until browned, turning once. Transfer chicken to a plate; chill until needed.
- Arrange chicken on top of rice mixture. Bake, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink (165 degrees F) and rice is tender. Before serving, sprinkle with cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Tandoori Spice Mixture
- In a small bowl combine curry powder, garam masala, ginger, cumin, coriander, cardamom, salt, pepper, and cinnamon.
Nutrition Facts (Tandoori Spiced Chicken and Rice Bake)
- Per serving:
- 344 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 84 mg chol.,
- 575 mg sodium,
- 35 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 30 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet