Tamarind Shrimp Tacos with Roasted Corn Slaw
pound fresh or frozen medium shrimp
tablespoons canola oil or vegetable oil
tablespoons tamarind concentrate*
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoon packed brown sugar
teaspoons adobo sauce from canned chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce
tablespoons hot water
6 inches corn tortillas
Nonstick cooking spray
cup frozen whole kernel corn
tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
tablespoon lime juice
cups finely shredded cabbage
cup snipped fresh parsley
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp. Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine oil, tamarind concentrate, garlic, brown sugar, adobo sauce, and the dash salt. Add the hot water, whisking until smooth. Coarsely chop the shrimp; add to tamarind mixture, tossing to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Stack tortillas and wrap tightly in foil. Bake about 10 minutes or until heated through.
- For roasted corn slaw, coat a large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add frozen corn all at once to hot skillet and spread in a single layer. Cook, without stirring, for 3 minutes; then stir. Cook, without stirring, for 3 minutes more or until corn is light golden brown. Transfer to a medium bowl. Cool completely. Set skillet aside.
- When corn is cool, stir in mayonnaise, lime juice, and the 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add cabbage, onion, and parsley; stir to coat. Set corn slaw aside.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat. Add shrimp mixture; cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp are opaque.
- To assemble tacos, use a slotted spoon to spoon cooked shrimp mixture onto warm tortillas, reserving cooking juices in skillet. Top shrimp mixture with roasted corn slaw. Drizzle with reserved cooking juices. Fold tortilla over filling.
From the Test Kitchen
Tamarind concentrate can be found in Asian or Mexican sections of large grocery stores. If you cant find it, simmer 1 cup tamarind juice until it is reduced to a syrupy consistency.
Nutrition Facts(Tamarind Shrimp Tacos with Roasted Corn Slaw)
- Per serving:
- 303 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 97 mg chol.,
- 1020 mg sodium,
- 38 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 14 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet