Sweet Skillet Popover
- Allow eggs and milk to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl stir together 2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon. Add apple slices; toss until well coated.
- Place butter in an oven-proof skillet.* Heat skillet in oven about 2 minutes or until butter melts. Remove skillet from oven; swirl skillet to coat surface.
- Spread apple slices evenly in skillet. Bake about 10 minutes or until apples have softened slightly and butter is bubbling and beginning to brown around the edges.
- Meanwhile, for pancake batter, in a blender combine eggs, milk, flour, vanilla, salt, the remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cover and blend about 1 minute or until well mixed and frothy.
- Remove skillet from oven. Pour batter evenly over apples. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until puffy and golden brown. Cool slightly in skillet on a wire rack. (Note: it will deflate quite a bit.) Dust with powdered sugar. Cut into wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
It's best to use a skillet at least 9 inches wide. In a smaller skillet the pancake will take longer to cook and be more moist and custardlike.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Skillet Popover)
- Per serving:
- 160 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 105 mg chol. ,
- 128 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 11 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.