Sweet Saffron-Scented Pickled Fennel and Red Peppers
- In a large bowl combine fennel and sweet peppers; set aside.
- In a 4- to 6-quart stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick heavy pot combine sugar, the water, wine vinegar, white vinegar, salt, peppercorns, and saffron. Bring mixture to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Pack vegetables into hot sterilized pint canning jars, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Pour hot vinegar mixture over vegetables, distributing peppercorns evenly among jars and maintaining the 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe jars rims; adjust lids and screw bands.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 15 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks. Let stand at room temperature for 1 week before serving. Makes 8 pints.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Saffron-Scented Pickled Fennel and Red Peppers)
- Per serving:
- 89 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 100 mg sodium,
- 20 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 18 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet