Sour Cream Buns
- In a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a small saucepan combine sour cream, granulated sugar, shortening, and salt. Heat and stir over medium-low heat until warm (105 degrees F to 115 degrees F) and shortening is melted. Stir in baking soda. Stir sour cream mixture and egg into yeast. Stir in as much of the flour as you can with a wooden spoon.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough ( 3 to 5 minutes total). Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Grease twelve 2-1/2 inch muffin cups; set aside. On a lightly floured surface roll dough into an 18x12-inch rectangle; spread with softened butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over dough. Roll up, starting from long side; seal seam. Slice into twelve 1-1/2-inch-wide pieces. Place each bun, cut side down, in a prepared muffin cup. Cover and let rise in a warm place until 1/4 to 1/2 inch above tops of cups (45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake buns in the preheated oven about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans. Combine powdered sugar and enough water to make an icing of drizzling consistency; drizzle over buns. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
After baking, uniced buns may be cooled, wrapped, labeled, and frozen for up to 3 weeks. To reheat, wrap buns in foil. Bake in a 325 degrees F oven for 30 minutes. Prepare icing and drizzle over warm rolls. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts (Sour Cream Buns)
- Per serving:
- 250 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 32 mg chol.,
- 246 mg sodium,
- 38 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet