- Makes: 12 servings
- Serving Size: 1 roll
- Yields: 12 rolls
- Prep: 1 hr
- Rise: 1 hr 30 mins to 1 hr 45 mins
- Chill: 2 hrs to 24 hrs
Our Best-Ever Cinnamon Rolls
package active dry yeast
cup granulated sugar
cup packed brown sugar
tablespoon ground cinnamon
cup golden raisins
cup chopped pecans, toasted if desired
Powdered Sugar Icing
- In a large bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups of the flour and the yeast. In a small saucepan, combine milk, the 1/3 cup butter, the granulated sugar, and salt. Cook and stir just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter is nearly melted. Add to flour mixture. Add eggs.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (1-1/2 to 1 3/4 hours).
- Punch down dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, the 1/4 cup flour, and the cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 1/2 cup butter until crumbly.
- Roll dough into an 18x12-inch rectangle. Sprinkle filling over dough, leaving 1 inch unfilled along a long side. Sprinkle with raisins and pecans. Starting from the filled long side, roll up rectangle. Pinch dough to seal seam. Cut into 12 slices. Arrange in the prepared baking pan.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap, leaving room for rolls to rise. Chill for 2 to 24 hours. Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking. (Or for immediate baking, don't chill rolls. Instead, cover loosely; let rolls rise in a warm place until nearly double in size [about 45 minutes].)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Break any surface bubbles with a greased toothpick. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Drizzle with Powdered Sugar Icing. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, except substitute 1 cup finely chopped apple for the raisins in the filling.
Powdered Sugar Icing
cups powdered sugar
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir in enough milk to make an icing of drizzling consistency.