For variety, add a few extra ingredients to this basic muffin batter recipe. Try poppy seed, cheese, blueberry, or streusel-topped versions.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups or line with paper bake cups; set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In another bowl combine egg, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. If desired, sprinkle Streusel Topping over muffin batter in cups. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm.
- Makes 12 muffins.
From the Test Kitchen
Poppy Seed Muffins:
Prepare as above, except increase sugar to 1/2 cup and add 1 tablespoon poppy seeds to flour mixture.
Prepare as above, except stir 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese into flour mixture.
Per muffin: 155 cal., 7 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 24 mg chol., 158 mg sodium, 19 g carbo., 0 g dietary fiber, 4 g protein.
Daily Values: 2% vit. A, 10% calcium, 5% iron
Exchanges: 1 Starch, .5 Other Carbo., 1 Fat
Prepare as above, except fold 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries and, if desired, 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel into batter.
Prepare as above, greasing muffin cups (do not use paper bake cups). Reduce milk to 1/2 cup. Stir 3/4 cup mashed banana and 1/2 cup chopped nuts into flour mixture along with the egg mixture.
Per muffin: 184 cal., 9 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 18 mg chol. 126 mg sodium, 24 g carbo., 1 g dietary fiber, 4 g protein.
Daily Values: 1% vit. A, 3% vit. C, 6% calcium, 6% iron
Exchanges: 1 Starch, .5 Other Carbo., 1.5 Fat
Prepare as above, except combine 1 cup coarsely chopped cranberries and 2 tablespoons additional sugar; fold into batter.
Prepare as above, except reduce flour to 1-1/3 cups and add 3/4 cup rolled oats to flour mixture.
- In a small bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in chopped pecans or walnuts.
Nutrition Facts (Muffins)
- Per serving:
- 136 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 19 mg chol.,
- 128 mg sodium,
- 19 g carb.,
- 6 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet