French Market Beignets
- In a large bowl, stir together 3 cups of the flour and the yeast. In a small saucepan, heat and stir evaporated milk, water, granulated sugar, shortening, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and the shortening is almost melted.
- Add milk mixture to the flour mixture. Add the eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl; turn once to grease the surface. Cover and refrigerate the dough for 4 to 24 hours.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Roll into an 18x12-inch rectangle; cut into thirty six 3x2-inch rectangles. Cover; let rest 20 minutes (dough will not double).
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep saucepan to 375 degrees F. Fry a few dough rectangles at a time in deep hot oil about 1 minute or until beignets are golden brown on both sides, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in a 300 degree F oven while cooking remaining beignets. Generously sift powdered sugar over beignets. Serve warm. Makes 4 dozen.
shoshanau2092630 206 Days Ago
Cutting the dough into 36 rectangles will NOT yield 4 dozen beignets. Somebody's math is faulty. But the recipe is very tempting.
Kathy Frye 1684 Days Ago
The Yield says 4 dozen, but if you cut the dough into 36 rectangles, you will only get 3 dozen beignets.