- Yields: 16 pastries
- Prep: 30 mins
- Chill: overnight
- Bake: 20 mins 350°F per batch
- In a small bowl sprinkle yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar over lukewarm water. Let stand until foamy, 5 minutes. Combine flour, remaining sugar, cardamom, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a separate bowl, beat cream and eggs, then whisk in yeast mixture. Stir into flour mixture until dough forms a ball. Scrape out dough onto waxed paper. Clean bowl, then lightly oil. Return dough to bowl and turn to coat top. Wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Position a rack in middle of oven. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Lightly grease 2 large cookie sheets, set aside. On a well-floured work surface, roll dough to a 16-inch square. Cut into 16 squares. Place 2 teaspoons preserves in the center of 8 squares. Fold each corner into the center over preserves, pinching slits to seal. Transfer to 1 prepared sheet. In a cup whisk egg and 1 teaspoon water. Brush tops of pastries lightly with egg wash. Bake until golden, 20 minutes. (Repeat with remaining dough and preserves while the first sheet bakes.) Transfer to wire rack and cool.
- In a small bowl stir confectioners sugar, remaining water and lemon peel until smooth and slightly thick. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag. Snip a small hole in one corner of bag. Decoratively pipe glaze onto cooled pastries. Makes 16 pastries.
Nutrition Facts (Blackberry Danish)
- Per serving:
- 250 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 60 mg chol.,
- 93 mg sodium,
- 40 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet