Sweet Riesling Pickled Radishes
- Wash radishes; trim off radish tops and roots. Cut radishes into 1/4-inch slices. In a large nonmetal bowl stir together the 2 1/2 cups water and salt; add radishes. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Pour radish mixture into a colander set in a sink. Rinse with cold water; drain.
- In a medium stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick heavy saucepan combine wine, vinegar, sugar, peppercorns, cloves, and allspice. Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Pack radishes into hot sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. Pour hot vinegar mixture over radishes, distributing the whole spices evenly and maintaining the 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids and screw bands.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks. Makes 5 half-pints.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Riesling Pickled Radishes)
- Per serving:
- 35 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 608 mg sodium,
- 4 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet