Sweet Potato-Topped Turkey Pot Pie
Try this recipe in ramekins for individual servings!
- Makes: 5 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Bake: 20 mins 400°
- For Sweet Potato Topping: In a saucepan combine the sweet potatoes, 1 tsp. of the salt and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Cover partially. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium. Simmer until the potatoes fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes; return to the warm pan. Stir over low heat for 1 minute. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes. Stir in melted butter, nutmeg, the remaining 1 tsp. salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Position a rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In a large saucepan melt butter with the oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot. Cook and stir, about 2 minutes. Add salt. Cover partially. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until vegetables are very tender, about 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over vegetables.Stir to combine. Slowly stir in the stock. Simmer stirring occasionally until smooth and thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cream;bring to a simmer. Add the turkey, parsley, sage, and thyme. Stir to combine; return the mixture to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Spoon the filling into the 2 1/2-to 3-qt. rectangular baking dish. Using a rubber spatula, carefully spread and mound spoonfuls of the mashed sweet potatoes over the filling, leaving some of the filling visible. Bake until bubbly and piping hot, about 20 minutes. Serve Immediately.
Instead of preparing in individual ramekins, use a 2 1/2-to 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Spoon in the hot filling and top with the potatoes. Bake in a 400 degrees F oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Per serving:
- 516 kcal cal.,
- 29 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 134 mg chol.,
- 1230 mg sodium,
- 39 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 10 g sugar,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet