Sweet Potato-Topped Turkey Pot Pie
Ingredients Sweet Potato ToppingFillling
pounds orange-fleshed sweet potateos peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
teaspoons kosher salt
tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Freshly ground pepper
tablespoons unsalted butter
tablespoons canola or other neutral oil
cup diced celery (100 g)
cup peeled and diced carrot (105 g)
cups homemade chicken or turkey stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth (360 ml)
cup whipping cream, half-and-half, or light cream (120 ml)
cups shredded roast turkey or chicken (375 g)
tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- For Sweet Potato Topping: In a saucepan combine the sweet potatoes, 1 tsp. of the salt and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Cover partially. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium. Simmer until the potatoes fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes; return to the warm pan. Stir over low heat for 1 minute. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes. Stir in melted butter, nutmeg, the remaining 1 tsp. salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Position a rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In a large saucepan melt butter with the oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot. Cook and stir, about 2 minutes. Add salt. Cover partially. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until vegetables are very tender, about 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over vegetables.Stir to combine. Slowly stir in the stock. Simmer stirring occasionally until smooth and thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cream;bring to a simmer. Add the turkey, parsley, sage, and thyme. Stir to combine; return the mixture to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Spoon the filling into the 2 1/2-to 3-qt. rectangular baking dish. Using a rubber spatula, carefully spread and mound spoonfuls of the mashed sweet potatoes over the filling, leaving some of the filling visible. Bake until bubbly and piping hot, about 20 minutes. Serve Immediately.
Sweet Potato Toppping:
For Turkey Filling:
From the Test Kitchen
Baking dish option:
Instead of preparing in individual ramekins, use a 2 1/2-to 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Spoon in the hot filling and top with the potatoes. Bake in a 400 degrees F oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts(Sweet Potato-Topped Turkey Pot Pie)
- Per serving:
- 516 kcal cal.,
- 29 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 134 mg chol.,
- 1230 mg sodium,
- 39 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 10 g sugar,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet