Sweet Potato Cauliflower Fritters
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place sweet potatoes and cauliflower in separate shallow baking pans. Drizzle with the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until browned and just tender, stirring halfway through. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In a food processor combine onion and garlic; pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a very large bowl. Add cauliflower to processor and pulse until chopped; transfer to the bowl with onion. Process sweet potatoes, half at a time, in food processor until coarsely mashed. Add to bowl with cauliflower.
- Add sage, rosemary, salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and cayenne pepper to bowl with potato mixture. Stir to combine. Add egg and flour and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate potato mixture for 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- Add 1-inch of oil to a large skillet; heat over medium heat for 10 minutes or until 350 degrees F. Place panko in a shallow dish. Using a 1/3-cup measure, shape the sweet potato mixture into 16 balls and roll in panko to coat. Add to oil in skillet, 5 or 6 at a time, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned and heated through (160 degrees F), turning to brown evenly. Transfer to a paper towel-lined tray to drain. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Make Ahead Tip:
If you want to avoid frying on the day of your Thanksgiving meal, simply fry these up to 3 days ahead. Cool completely and transfer to airtight storage containers. Cover and chill. Before serving, warm in a 350 degrees F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through (160 degrees F). Serve warm.
To Make Toasted Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs:
Toast 4 slices whole wheat bread. Place toasted bread in a clean food processor. Cover and process until fine. Spread on a baking sheet. Bake in the 400 degrees F. oven for 3 to 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to an airtight storage container. Store at room temperature up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Potato Cauliflower Fritters)
- Per serving:
- 205 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 7 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 12 mg chol.,
- 359 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet