Sweet Potato Black Bean Stew
Forget that stick-to-your-ribs business. This stew guarantees energy in a bowl from the combined hint of sweetness, kick of spice, and splash of citrus.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- In a large Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes, sweet pepper, onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic. Cook about 4 minutes or until peppers and onion are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper; reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, for 7 to 8 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, beans, and tomatoes. Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally. Stir in frozen corn; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in 1/4 cup cilantro and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Top each serving with cheese and, if desired, additional cilantro.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
To vary this dish, substitute kidney beans, pinto beans, or a mix of types for straight black beans. Try butternut or kobucha squash or yams for the sweet potatoes; add 2 chopped, canned chipotle peppers for a smoky hot flavor; and/or add a few squirts of Sriracha to amp up the heat.
- Per serving:
- 231 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 15 mg chol.,
- 708 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 11 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet