Sweet Potato Biscuit Sandwiches with Ham and Redeye Gravy
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. For sweet potato biscuits, in a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cream of tartar, and cayenne pepper. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. In a small bowl combine milk and sweet potato. Add sweet potato mixture to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until mixture is moistened.
- Turn out onto a well floured surface. Knead gently 10 to 12 strokes. Pat or lightly roll dough to a 3/4-inch thick rectangle (about 9x5 inches). Cut into 8 pieces. Place biscuits 1 inch apart on a large baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned.*
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserving 1 Tbsp. bacon fat in skillet. Add ham to skillet; cook 5 minutes or until well-browned on both sides. Add coffee to skillet with ham, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Simmer, uncovered, until coffee just begins to thicken and glaze the ham. Remove ham from skillet.
- Split biscuits. Top bottoms with ham, peach preserves, scrambled eggs, bacon, parsley, and biscuit tops.
From the Test Kitchen
*This recipe uses 4 of the 8 biscuits. Bake and cool completely, then wrap and freeze any leftover biscuits for another use. To reheat, thaw biscuits and wrap in foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Potato Biscuit Sandwiches with Ham and Redeye Gravy)
- Per serving:
- 595 kcal cal.,
- 28 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 261 mg chol.,
- 1398 mg sodium,
- 60 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 15 g sugar,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet