Sweet Ginger Roots
These sweet and earthy root vegetables get a burst of brightness from pomegranate juice. Serve alongside roasted meat or chilled on top of baby spinach leaves.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 6 1/2 to 7 hours(low) or 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 hours (high)
- In a medium saucepan whisk together pomegranate juice, cornstarch, and salt until cornstarch is dissolved. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat; continue boiling for 1 minute. Stir in the sugar; cool completely. Stir in ginger.
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine the pomegranate juice mixture, beets, and carrots.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 1/2 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 hours. Stir to coat vegetables.
- Serve warm as a side dish or chilled as a salad.
To peel beets easily, use a vegetable peeler and peel the beets under slow running water. The water prevents the beets from staining your fingertips.
- Per serving:
- 126 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 226 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 22 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet