Sweet Ginger Roots
cup pomegranate juice
teaspoons grated fresh ginger
pounds red and/or golden beets, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 3/4-inch wedges* (6 medium)
ounces carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces (halve any thick pieces) (4 medium)
- In a medium saucepan whisk together pomegranate juice, cornstarch, and salt until cornstarch is dissolved. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat; continue boiling for 1 minute. Stir in the sugar; cool completely. Stir in ginger.
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine the pomegranate juice mixture, beets, and carrots.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 1/2 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 hours. Stir to coat vegetables.
- Serve warm as a side dish or chilled as a salad.
From the Test Kitchen
To peel beets easily, use a vegetable peeler and peel the beets under slow running water. The water prevents the beets from staining your fingertips.
Nutrition Facts(Sweet Ginger Roots)
- Per serving:
- 126 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 226 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 22 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet