Summer Pasta Salad
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain well. In a very large bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and garlic. Add pasta; toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- In a large saucepan cook green beans in a large amount of boiling water for 5 minutes; drain and let cool. Add green beans, mozzarella cheese, squash, tomato, prosciutto (if using), arugula, onion, olives (if using), and basil to pasta. Add Fresh Herb Vinaigrette. Toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Fall Pasta Salad:
Prepare Summer Pasta Salad as directed, except substitute 2 cups cubed roasted butternut squash,* 1 cup fresh whole kernel corn or broccoli florets, and 1 cup bite-size strips red, green, and/or yellow sweet peppers for the green beans and summer squash. Substitute cheddar, smoked cheddar, or Gouda cheese for the mozzarella cheese. Substitute 1 cup torn kale for the arugula or spinach. Use the salami option. Substitute 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme for the basil. Use Fresh Herb Vinaigrette for dressing, using cider vinegar for the vinegar and a combination of hazelnut oil and olive oil. *To roast squash, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Halve, seed, and peel half of a butternut squash; cut into 1-inch cubes. Toss squash cubes with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Place cubes in a shallow baking pan. Sprinkle with salt and ground black pepper. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until squash is tender and brown.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 297 calories, 7 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate, 22 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 3 g total sugar, 57% Vitamin A, 41% Vitamin C, 359 mg sodium, 13% calcium, 6% iron
Winter Pasta Salad:
Prepare Summer Pasta Salad as directed, except substitute 1 1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets and 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets for the green beans and summer squash. Substitute Monterey Jack cheese for the mozzarella cheese. Substitute snipped fresh oregano or dill for the basil. Add 1/2 cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers, chopped, and 1/4 cup oil-pack dried tomatoes, drained and chopped. Use the green olive option.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 267 calories, 6 g protein, 15 g carbohydrate, 21 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 2 g total sugar, 10% Vitamin A, 49% Vitamin C, 354 mg sodium, 13% calcium, 6% iron
Red Wine Vinaigrette
- In a screw-top jar combine olive oil, vinegar; shallots, fresh or dried herb, mustard, sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover; shake well.
From the Test Kitchen
If using fresh herbs, cover and store the vinaigrette in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If using dried herbs, cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. The olive oil will solidify when chilled, so let vinaigrette stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using. Stir or shake well before using.
Nutrition Facts (Summer Pasta Salad)
- Per serving:
- 245 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 10 mg chol. ,
- 290 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.