Upload your photo here.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. With a knife, cut an X in the shells of chestnuts. Spread chestnuts on a large baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes; cool. Peel and coarsely chop chestnuts; set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, place mushrooms in a medium bowl; cover with the boiling water. Let stand for 15 minutes; drain. If necessary, snip any large pieces of mushroom. Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, fennel, onion, and garlic; cook and stir until onion is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in chestnuts, salami, 1/4 cup of the cheese, the thyme, parsley, pepper, and salt. Place the bread cubes in an extra-large bowl; add onion mixture. Drizzle with enough broth to moisten, tossing lightly to combine.
- Transfer bread mixture to a 3-quart casserole.*** Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake, covered, for 40 to 45 minutes or until heated through.
From the Test Kitchen
To make dry bread cubes, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spread cubes in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cubes are dry, stirring twice; cool. (Cubes will continue to dry and crisp as they cool.) Or let bread cubes stand, loosely covered, at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours.
If you like, use one 8-ounce jar or one 10-ounce can whole peeled chestnuts, drained and chopped, in place of the fresh chestnuts.
Prepare as directed, except do not bake. Cool stuffing. Cover with plastic wrap; chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap; bake as directed.
If you like, use bread mixture to stuff an 8- to 10-pound turkey.
Nutrition Facts (Porcini-Chestnut Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 329 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 39 mg chol.,
- 689 mg sodium,
- 37 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet