- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 pound fresh chestnuts (3 cups)*
- 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms (1 ounce)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup finely chopped fennel or celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ounces Genoa salami, sliced and chopped or cubed, or thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into strips
- 3/4 cup finely shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 12 cups 3/4-inch cubes dry Italian bread**
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. With a knife, cut an X in the shells of chestnuts. Spread chestnuts on a large baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes; cool. Peel and coarsely chop chestnuts; set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
2. Meanwhile, place mushrooms in a medium bowl; cover with the boiling water. Let stand for 15 minutes; drain. If necessary, snip any large pieces of mushroom. Pat dry with paper towels.
3. In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, fennel, onion, and garlic; cook and stir until onion is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in chestnuts, salami, 1/4 cup of the cheese, the thyme, parsley, pepper, and salt. Place the bread cubes in an extra-large bowl; add onion mixture. Drizzle with enough broth to moisten, tossing lightly to combine.
4. Transfer bread mixture to a 3-quart casserole.*** Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake, covered, for 40 to 45 minutes or until heated through.
- To make dry bread cubes, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spread cubes in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cubes are dry, stirring twice; cool. (Cubes will continue to dry and crisp as they cool.) Or let bread cubes stand, loosely covered, at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours.
- If you like, use one 8-ounce jar or one 10-ounce can whole peeled chestnuts, drained and chopped, in place of the fresh chestnuts.
- Prepare as directed, except do not bake. Cool stuffing. Cover with plastic wrap; chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap; bake as directed.
- If you like, use bread mixture to stuff an 8- to 10-pound turkey.
- Servings Per Recipe 10,
- cal. (kcal) 329,
- Fat, total (g) 16,
- chol. (mg) 39,
- sat. fat (g) 9,
- carb. (g) 37,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 5,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1,
- fiber (g) 4,
- sugar (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 9,
- vit. A (IU) 486,
- vit. C (mg) 18,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 3,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 97,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0,
- sodium (mg) 689,
- Potassium (mg) 355,
- calcium (mg) 151,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet