Parmesan Cheese and Italian Sausage Stuffing
cups ciabatta bread torn into bite-size pieces
ounces bulk mild Italian sausage
cup chopped onion
cup chopped celery
teaspoons snipped fresh thyme
teaspoon snipped fresh sage
teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary
tablespoons olive oil
egg, lightly beaten
cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (2 ounces)
cup dried currants
tablespoons snipped fresh Italian ( flat-leaf) parsley
teaspoon ground black pepper
cup chicken broth
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a 2-quart shallow baking dish; set aside. Spread bread pieces evenly in an ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until bread is dry, stirring once. Transfer to a very large bowl; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until brown. Drain off fat. Transfer sausage to the bowl.
- In the same skillet, cook onion, celery, thyme, sage, and rosemary in hot oil over medium-high heat until onion and celery are tender. Transfer onion mixture to the bowl. Stir in egg, the 1/2 cup cheese, the currants, parsley, salt, and pepper. Drizzle with enough of the broth to moisten, tossing gently to combine.
- Transfer bread mixture to the prepared baking dish.* Cover and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until heated through. If desired, sprinkle with additional cheese. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Or use the bread mixture to stuff a 10- to 12-pound turkey before roasting.
Nutrition Facts(Parmesan Cheese and Italian Sausage Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 384 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 63 mg chol.,
- 875 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 14 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet